Sedum is part of the stonecrop genus and has become well-known throughout the green roof community, as it is well-suited for the harsh conditions of a rooftop.
The characteristics of Sedum are as follows:
- Very drought tolerant – Some species can survive an entire month without substantial rainfall
- Very hardy – Easily adapts to changing environments due to its genetic makeup and high number of chromosomes
- Many species thrive in direct sunlight
- Becomes dormant in the winter and turns a beautiful deep red – This keeps the rooftop looking natural and fresh all year round
- Sedum promotes biodiversity by attracting butterflies, bumblebees and hummingbirds